A Few of Our Finished Dyes

We have officially completed dyeing all of our fabric for the Lotus Installation! It’s a real relief to be done, although we have a little more sewing to go. Here are some examples of students’ finished dyes. If anybody has questions on the precentage of dyes used, or the dimensions of the fabric don’t hesitate to ask or check the Tumblr link!

Madder, Weld, Quebracho Yellow
Madder, Weld, Quebracho Yellow
Raw Cochineal
Raw Cochineal
Dried Marigold, Weld, Myrobalan, Quebracho Yellow
Dried Marigold, Weld, Myrobalan, Quebracho Yellow
Madder, Pomegranate
Madder, Pomegranate
Madder, Logwood Purple
Madder, Logwood Purple
Loogwood Purple
Loogwood Purple

If you’re interested in seeing more of the dye process or different dyes, you can find out more through the Tumblr page!

Cutting the Arch

The last post showed the calculations and sketches of the arches that Vincent had worked out. Last week the class was able to visit the wood shop and see the arch being cut out! We used birch plywood, which is relatively thin but stronger and more even than regular plywood. Vincent used Rhino to put in the specifications of the arch. He then sent those to the CNC router, which is a machine that will cut the wood based on our design.

Here’s Carissa talking to Vincent about where to put the drill holes.  

This is the wood shop! It’s always exciting going to a new art concentration’s studio!

The router drilling holes. The overhead part moves back and forth, cutting through a few small layers at a time.   

The router working! If you look closely you can see some of the first drilled holes!

Lotus Update: The Structure

We are working with Vincent, the wood shop technician in order to design and cut the wood structure that will hold our fabric up. These are some photos that show the processes Vincent has used to plan and create the arch. The program used to design the arch is RHINO, which is software used for 3D design.

      

Lotus Update: New Ideas

After we came back with some new sketches, we realized what we wanted to do was going to be too complicated for the amount of production time available. We ended up taking our installation in a completely new direction that everyone was excited about! We decided to make columns by dyeing four pieces of fabric and sewing them together. In the end we will have an array of colors, shapes, and sizes!

  Trying to visualize exactly how much space we have to work with!   This is the new idea with both cube and pyramid shapes, hanging in different variations! We cut and folded paper in different sizes and shapes to better imagine how the finished project would look!

 The mock up, made of paper. We are still playing around with how we will hang the shapes!