The last post showed the calculations and sketches of the arches that Vincent had worked out. Last week the class was able to visit the wood shop and see the arch being cut out! We used birch plywood, which is relatively thin but stronger and more even than regular plywood. Vincent used Rhino to put in the specifications of the arch. He then sent those to the CNC router, which is a machine that will cut the wood based on our design.
Here’s Carissa talking to Vincent about where to put the drill holes.
This is the wood shop! It’s always exciting going to a new art concentration’s studio!
The router drilling holes. The overhead part moves back and forth, cutting through a few small layers at a time.
The router working! If you look closely you can see some of the first drilled holes!
After we came back with some new sketches, we realized what we wanted to do was going to be too complicated for the amount of production time available. We ended up taking our installation in a completely new direction that everyone was excited about! We decided to make columns by dyeing four pieces of fabric and sewing them together. In the end we will have an array of colors, shapes, and sizes!
Trying to visualize exactly how much space we have to work with! This is the new idea with both cube and pyramid shapes, hanging in different variations! We cut and folded paper in different sizes and shapes to better imagine how the finished project would look!
The mock up, made of paper. We are still playing around with how we will hang the shapes!
This past week groups of three students were asked t bring in some designs and conceptualizations of the Lotus installation. Each group picked one design and move forward on creating and armature, a small scale model of what the design would look like. Students also worked with the samples of dye they had previously completed, so some of the colors will be different in the final product.
This is the first group (and the one I am in). The hanging pieces of fabric would be shades of red, representing the blood that connects everyone around the world. The flower is a lotus blossom, and would have three petals in the center and six more below that would reach various points in the tent.
The next group created a piece called “Heart Strings.” The various pieces of fabric interlocked and crossed to show how people’s connections and histories come together to form something beautiful.
The third group used an interesting perspective. They chose to include several layers of fabric, each one cut slightly differently so that altogether they create a lotus flower.
The last group went with a caravan theme. They use several bright fabrics and cut shapes out of them.
Our next step is combining some of these designs and creating a new blend. The next two weeks we will try to complete our project, and then install it in September!