The amazing Sarah did some digital mock-ups of what the finished structure would look like, complete with the correct dimensions, and a person for scale. Sarah really played around with various shapes and arrangements, but the finished design is somewhat of a mix between The first and second pictures. We will have the lightest and longest columns in the middle, with subsequently darker shades as it moves out in a chandelier shape.
We have officially completed dyeing all of our fabric for the Lotus Installation! It’s a real relief to be done, although we have a little more sewing to go. Here are some examples of students’ finished dyes. If anybody has questions on the precentage of dyes used, or the dimensions of the fabric don’t hesitate to ask or check the Tumblr link!
If you’re interested in seeing more of the dye process or different dyes, you can find out more through the Tumblr page!
The last post showed the calculations and sketches of the arches that Vincent had worked out. Last week the class was able to visit the wood shop and see the arch being cut out! We used birch plywood, which is relatively thin but stronger and more even than regular plywood. Vincent used Rhino to put in the specifications of the arch. He then sent those to the CNC router, which is a machine that will cut the wood based on our design.
This is the wood shop! It’s always exciting going to a new art concentration’s studio!
The router working! If you look closely you can see some of the first drilled holes!
After we came back with some new sketches, we realized what we wanted to do was going to be too complicated for the amount of production time available. We ended up taking our installation in a completely new direction that everyone was excited about! We decided to make columns by dyeing four pieces of fabric and sewing them together. In the end we will have an array of colors, shapes, and sizes!
Trying to visualize exactly how much space we have to work with! This is the new idea with both cube and pyramid shapes, hanging in different variations! We cut and folded paper in different sizes and shapes to better imagine how the finished project would look!