The amazing Sarah did some digital mock-ups of what the finished structure would look like, complete with the correct dimensions, and a person for scale. Sarah really played around with various shapes and arrangements, but the finished design is somewhat of a mix between The first and second pictures. We will have the lightest and longest columns in the middle, with subsequently darker shades as it moves out in a chandelier shape.
We have officially completed dyeing all of our fabric for the Lotus Installation! It’s a real relief to be done, although we have a little more sewing to go. Here are some examples of students’ finished dyes. If anybody has questions on the precentage of dyes used, or the dimensions of the fabric don’t hesitate to ask or check the Tumblr link!
If you’re interested in seeing more of the dye process or different dyes, you can find out more through the Tumblr page!
There are a few simple variations you can use when dyeing. First of all, we generally use alum acetate simply because it works as somewhat of a universal mordant. However, there are many different mordants you can use, and some work better for different dyes and fabrics. It is always a good idea to do some research and figure out which mordant is the best for you! Just be careful, some of the mordants and dyes from the eighties and back can be pretty toxic!
If you want to be more mindful of the dye used, you can save and reuse dye pots! You can keep dye pots used previously and add a little more dye, then heat them up the same as before. Just be aware that unless you add more dye the colors will not be as vibrant as the first dye. Also keep in mind some of these dyes can begin to mold pretty quickly, so use the dye pots as soon as possible!
We are working with Vincent, the wood shop technician in order to design and cut the wood structure that will hold our fabric up. These are some photos that show the processes Vincent has used to plan and create the arch. The program used to design the arch is RHINO, which is software used for 3D design.
After we came back with some new sketches, we realized what we wanted to do was going to be too complicated for the amount of production time available. We ended up taking our installation in a completely new direction that everyone was excited about! We decided to make columns by dyeing four pieces of fabric and sewing them together. In the end we will have an array of colors, shapes, and sizes!
Trying to visualize exactly how much space we have to work with! This is the new idea with both cube and pyramid shapes, hanging in different variations! We cut and folded paper in different sizes and shapes to better imagine how the finished project would look!